Tuesday 29 January 2013

David Roberston Author Study

     This week we are creating author studies in my English Language Arts Methods class and I chose David Roberston. I had previously used David's work in the Aboriginal Resources Curriculum Portfolio I created with my fiance, so it was nice to revisit his work and learn more!

     David is an Aboriginal author living and working in Winnipeg, Manitoba so it is awesome to be able to feature material that is locally relevant. His graphic novels feature intense plot lines and provide an engaging platform for students (especially those who struggle or dislike reading traditional forms of text). David's work includes:
- The Seven Generations Series
     - Stone
     - Scars
     - Ends/Begins
     - The Pact
- The Life of Helen Betty Osborne
- Sugar Falls

David Robertson, seven generations series, sugar falls, life of Helen Betty Osborne

     In addition to a written report I also created this display (see above). For this author study, I created two webs showcasing the curriculum connections (top of the board) as well as some of David's influences (bottom of the board). I also included an iPad to display the Teacher's Guide for his Seven Generations Series which is extremely detailed and provides a lot of great ideas for the classroom! I also have an example of a lesson plan that includes David's work that I will attach on the far right-hand side.

     If you have an opportunity to include David's work in your classroom I would definitely recommend it! If you would like to get your own copy of his work, it can be purchased through Portage and Main Press. To learn more about David Robertson and his work:
- Follow his blog, David Alexander Robertson
- Like his Facebook page, Seven Generations Fan Page
- Watch his book trailers on YouTube

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I just checked out your online portfolio and I'm so impressed. I'm definitely bookmarking it! Although I don't have a use for it now, I'm sure it will come in handy later on. I've actually checked out his Helen Betty Osbourne graphic novel and loved it. I'm glad you included a list of his other books too - they all look great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I'm happy to hear of someone else who has used David's work. It has so many awesome applications in the classroom so I really enjoyed being able to feature it through this project.

      Delete
  2. I love your display for this project! It is very evident that you put a lot of work into it and it is very easy to follow and informative! I like that you included the "Teacher's Guide" on the Ipad, and I will definatly be checking this out! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! It was a pretty open project in regards to guidelines so I enjoyed being able to be creative with it. You will love the Teacher's Guide! It is so helpful and aligns with the Manitoba curriculum :)

      Delete
  3. Hi!

    I came across your blog thanks to the High School Herd blog roll, and I'm so glad I did! I'm a student teacher too (and also your newest follower!), so it's nice to be able to read posts from someone else in the same place professionally. Right now I'm in a tenth grade Language Arts classroom, moving to a middle school classroom in March -- and then graduating in May! I look forward to reading more of your posts and hopefully sharing ideas!

    Emily
    The Absolutely True Blog of an Almost Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily! Thanks for visiting and following!! I've found so many great bloggers through the High School Herd so it is awesome to have someone visit me now :) I am checking out your blog now and can't wait to see what you are up to! We start our final placements in March and then graduate in May as well :)
      So glad we found each other!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!